Sunday, January 04, 2009

Happy Gnu Year

Well, it's belated, but better late than never. :-)



The Warzone 2100 team released version 2.1 of their continuation of the formerly-commercial RTS. The news link is broken for some reason. EDIT: And here is the fixed one. Well, the big 'hole' in WZ2100 has been the FMV that was in the original game, that comes in 2.2 I am told, but 2.1 is more stable and playable than ever (although I'm don't know the specific improvements over 2.0).



AssaultCube got a new website and a new release, version 1.0.2 which fixes a few glitches and brings some extra polish to the 1.0.x series of AC. Apparently Cube 2 (aka Sauerbraten) dev Eihrul has been backporting enhancements to AC, so looks much better than Cube 1, but I can't say for sure.



Speaking of Free FPS games, I thought this SuperTuxKart track, Sub-sea, being ported to Nexuiz was quite intriguing:





Speaking of SuperTuxKart, I can't remember if I mentioned or saw the 0.6rc1 release anywhere. By all accounts it's a massive improvement over 0.5 and the game is starting to realise a bit of it's potential. Version 0.7 will bring an overhaul of the graphics engine (port to Irrlicht from PLIB) and that plus all the new track development that is occuring, 2009 should be the year that STK becomes a showcase Free Software game. Still, the competition is getting tougher, but I hope that serves as motivation. :-)



Here's two questions for you, the readers, answers in comments please!



What was your favourite new project from 2008?



Mine was JCRPG - just from Word War Vi.



Which project do you look forward to new releases from this year?



For me, definitely Scourge (0.22 brings support for new model formats, which I think will make people pay more attention to it), with Vega Strike and UFO:AI releases also something I look forward to checking out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi!

About STK:
Yes, there wasn't any news on the typical portals about the RC. I tried to post an entry on happypenguin before christmas, but it wasn't released. I even send a mail to their mailing-list and didn't get an answer till today.
Maybe they are angry because I wanted to remove the whole tuxkart/GotM-history from the games description :(

I posted on several other linux-gaming portals but nothing happened till now.

Thanks for bringing us some attention. We are seriously worried about the release because we didn't get much feedback on the RC till now. This may result in another bugfix-release after the release and other problems...

Anonymous said...

I actually look forward to the new releases from The Mana World. This year the game will exist 5 years :D.

Anonymous said...

I hope we will see a stable glest multiplayer version this year. And I'm looking forward to a new Nexuiz release which hopefully brings us nice new features and good looking new maps!

KIAaze said...

Which project do you look forward to new releases from this year?
gamepower+iteam ;)

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.