Friday, June 29, 2007

Beep... please leave a message after the tone

Lugaid has Stand Alone in the FG forums. An RTS game for Windows, although I'm not sure if it is open source and able to download and play it yet. He says:



RTS game inspired by defence games. Project is almost finished, it needs more maps and graphic sets, maybe some more units. At first Interface is quite cumbersome, but not after you get used to it.


Fortress Logo


I will also note that we have started making progress with Fortress, inspired by the classic DOS game Castles. We have a logo, a very early prototype, and a wiki. Yesterday I compiled this list of gameplay elements that basically describe the key concepts of the game. Somebody has started working on models for the game too.



If you are interested, check out what we are doing and throw in your own thoughts in the Fortress forum. It will be an entirely open source project. A skilled artist or two would be really helpful. :-)



Despite my involvement (at the moment it looks like I'll be the main programmer) I have resisted bringing it up here since I don't want to abuse FG as a platform for pimping my own projects. However we have reached a point where there's a bit of momentum and it would be a good opportunity for people to provide some input before project direction becomes harder to influence.



Anyway, I'm actually away right now (back Sunday) so it's a short one today... *vanishes*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid spammers.

Hey, since we're talking about works-in-progress here, I figure I'll point out a project that I've been kinda keeping an eye on: The Open Dark Engine. It's a project to recreate the engine Looking Glass wrote for Thief, System Shock 2, and Thief 2 -- as a modern cross-platform engine based on Ogre.

It's early days yet, and mostly a one-man show, but he's been hammering away at it like mad for a little over a year.

I was quite sad to see the System Shock Hack Project die several years back, but openDE is already getting close to where SSHP was, and shows no signs of slowing down, so all those awesome Thief fan missions might be coming to Linux in the next couple of years. How cool is that?

pzi said...

Nice to see the progress in Fortress! :-) Cool game to recreate!

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.